This role is responsible for end-to-end Design, development and delivery of custom or repeat build automated equipment and machinery, in line with customer requirements and expectations.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer takes the lead in the development of technical specifications, procurement, commissioning, assembly, installation, testing, integration and installation of ordered machines.
• Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data in order to evaluate the feasibility, cost, performance and maintenance requirements of target equipment.
• Apply state of the art design concepts, creative approaches, tools and techniques in order to deliver to the highest levels of customer satisfaction within agreed time, quality and cost constraints.
• Lead all aspects of machine design from initial concept to final release
• Delivers technically feasible and cost-effective machine concepts
• Use 2D & 3D CAD software to produce detail drawings and BOM of equipment in line with client specifications
• Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Produce related documentation (technical data sheets, detailed drawings, operating manuals, test procedures etc).
• Prepare detailed tooling drawings, BOMS and pneumatic schematics
• Responsibility for quality, commissioning and safety of designs completed
Coordination and Supervision
• Give guidance, mentoring and direction to Engineers, Machine Build Technicians to help them realize designs and ensure that the customer end goals are achieved
• Liaise with Technical personnel to ensure that designs produced are current, incorporate latest information and comply with required standards
• Produce Bill of Materials and select appropriate materials as per project needs
• Interface with external vendors for component and tooling selection, manufacturing and assembly
• Monitor suppliers and various subcontractors to ensure components quality meets expectations
• Investigate equipment failures or difficulties. Diagnose root causes and implement remedial actions
• Document designs so they can be adequately manufactured within the time and budget targets
• Participate in handover to client, equipment installations and customer training
• Liaise with customers for requirement specifications and project deliverables
• Obtain accurate duration and effort estimates for technician activities
• Work within specified timescales and labour/materials budgets to achieve agreed completion dates
• Manage communications with various stakeholders for project status reporting
• Monitor project risks and implement appropriate actions
• Define and implement change management and control mechanisms
• Continuously improve process quality and effectiveness
- Degree qualified.
- Project Management and Customer facing experience 5+ years
- Strong Mechanical Design Knowledge and experienced 5+ years